Tuesday 27 October 2009

NaNo - the calcs.

50,000 words in 31 days - no, dammit, there's only 30 days in November, so that's time lost before I've even begun!

Okay, so 50,000 words divided straight into 30 days equals 1666.66 words each day.
Most novelists seem to be happy if they can hit 1000 words a day, and that includes many for whom that is their full time job, and some of whom live alone, without children, pets, or other day-to-day interruptions.

For us lesser mortals, that's 1666.66 words a day to fit around the full time job, the spending time with the kids, keeping the other half sweet by doing the dishes and taking out the rubbish on bin night, sleeping, taking a bath (scrub that - showers are quicker), and all the other stuff our days and weeks are filled with.

So, late nights on weekends are, I'm sure, the only saving grace to my challenge. They will provide the only opportunity to play catch up for the days where my eyes feel like they are close to bleeding from staring at a screen all day long in the day job.
Ten minutes ago this seemed like such a great idea......

But then, glancing up at the printed out copy of last year's book, I stop and think, I actually finished that thing - I wrote a book, and that's the thing that keeps me thinking I might just be able to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment